Mediaset has Chosen Etere Automation

10 августа 2000

After a long tender, finally Mediaset decided to buy its new play-out system for the main terrestrial channels.

It’s been 2 years since Mediaset started thinking to a new play-out system, but the project seemed to be beyond technical limits.

It was only after NAB that it seemed to be a real project. What Mediaset wants is to have an online archive of 3 weeks for the 3 channels (9 weeks in total), all hard disk based and bullet proof.

Also, they want an automation system which involves not only the operator but also the whole scheduling process, that currently employs more than 100 people in its organization.

At present Mediaset has some automation systems for its less important satellite channels, and this experience helped them to understand how critical the choice of an automation system is.

The automation itself is less than 10% of the total investment value, but it’s the crucial part. All what the other 90% is able to do is connected to the automation: you can have the best equipment of the world, but if your automation is not capable of a 100% control with full affordability you have nothing.

That’s why, in this tender, the traditional automation vendors have been rejected: due to the negative experience of Mediaset with the other channels, they have chosen ETERE as the Automation.

ETERE will not only drive the Video machines (this is only 10% of its work): it will also coordinate the work of all Mediaset scheduling people, as well as all the prebroadcasting activities in all areas.

The license Mediaset has bought is for 100 workstations, only for the scheduling part.

Another key feature was the web integration; ETERE web allows all intranet users to browse the running schedule in all its details, and this eliminates a lot oftelephone calls, papers and waste of time.
Everyone can have a look at the scheduling forming process from his desktop.

No other automation vendor was able to offer a similar possibility. Important are also the Italian system integration and the design by SHS.

Some figures give you the importance of the installation.
- 2 ‘top level’ SeaChange 7 node video-servers at the maximum capacity
- 4 cart machines for caching
- 24 VTRs involved
- 4 Leitch master controls, for the 4 main channels
- 4 Oxtel a/b switchers for the backup chain
- One 96*96 Leitch video router
- And other equipment for a total amount of 5.000.000 USD